Did you know that more than half of internet users use mobile devices to browse websites and e-commerce sites? And that Google prefers responsive websites in its search results? And that a responsive website can help you increase conversions, credibility and user experience?
If you want to be successful on the internet in 2023, you can’t afford to ignore responsive web design. In this article, we’ll explain what a responsive website is, what its benefits are, and how to create one.
What is a responsive website?
A responsive website is one that automatically adapts to the size and resolution of the display on which it is displayed. This means that the content and elements of the site are arranged so that they are easy to see and use on any device – desktop, laptop, tablet, mobile or smartwatch.
A responsive website uses a flexible structure, images and media queries – special codes that detect the width of the browser window and adjust the display of the site accordingly. Thus, the responsive web is not one fixed design, but many different variations according to the user’s needs.
Jaké jsou výhody responzivity?
A responsive website has many benefits for both the website owner and the website user. These include:
- Better user experience (UX) – a responsive website is more comfortable and easier to use on different devices. Users don’t have to shrink or enlarge content, scroll sideways or search for important information. A responsive website is intuitive and easy to navigate.
- More traffic and conversions – a responsive website will attract more users from mobile devices, which make up more than half of the internet population. A responsive site also reduces site or cart abandonment rates because it keeps users on the page and makes it easier for them to complete an action (e.g. order, register or contact).
- Better SEO and Google ranking – a responsive website is preferred by Google and other search engines because it provides a better service to users. Thus, a responsive website has a higher chance of ranking in the top positions in search results, increasing its visibility and traffic.
- Lower costs and maintenance – a responsive website is a one-size-fits-all solution, which means you don’t have to create and maintain different versions of your website for different platforms. A responsive website is also easier to update and secure because only one code changes.
How to build a responsive website?
A responsive website is neither complicated nor expensive if you know how to do it. There are a few principles and tips that you should follow when designing and building a responsive website. These include:
- Use a flexible layout – the width of the individual site components should not be fixed, but based on a percentage calculation of the maximum size. The specific design will thus depend on the size and resolution of the display.
- Use flexible images – the same characteristics as for structure also apply to images, which should again be sized based on the size of the display. Images should be optimised for fast loading and not take up too much space on the page.
- Use media queries – special CSS that detects the width of the browser window and adjusts the display of the site accordingly. Media queries allow you to set different styles for different resolutions and devices. For example, you can hide or show certain elements, change font size or background color.
- Adapt to fingertip control – a responsive website should be adapted to touchscreen control. This means that you should pay attention to the size and placement of buttons, menus and other elements that the user has to click or drag. Elements should be large and separate enough so that the user doesn’t get confused or click on something else.
- Test and debug your responsive website – You should test and debug your responsive website regularly on different devices and browsers to make sure it works properly and without errors. You can use tools like Google Mobile-Friendly Test or Chrome DevTools to help you simulate different devices and resolutions. vám pomohou simulovat různá zařízení a rozlišení.
If you don’t know how to build a responsive website, we will be happy to help you. We are a professional agency that specializes in the design and creation of responsive websites and e-shops. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.